On June 26, 2020, an agreement was signed between the United Nations Office and the Odessa Law Academy National University on the implementation of training course development materials and materials for investigators of the State Bureau of Investigation of Ukraine (RFP/2020/13937).
Project goals and objectives:
The purpose of training DBR investigators on PPK is to:
- • provide and update the existing knowledge necessary for the effective solution of tasks of professional activity as an investigator of the DBR;
- • to acquaint DRB investigators with the latest scientific developments in resolving problematic issues in the process of investigating criminal offenses under investigation by the DBR;
- • ensure the acquisition of practical skills necessary to prevent, detect, stop, detect and investigate crimes within the competence of the DBR;
- • bring professional training in line with modern requirements for the professional qualification of the DBR investigator;
- • to form in investigators the motivation of needs for constant self-improvement, the ability to learn independently.
The key task of the State Bureau of Investigation (hereinafter - DRB) is the timely prevention, detection, cessation, prompt detection and objective investigation of crimes within the competence of the DBR. Given that the DRB investigates criminal offenses committed by judges, law enforcement officers, high-ranking officials and other persons who have the opportunity to influence the course of criminal proceedings, DRB officials are subject to additional requirements regarding their professionalism and awareness of criminal investigations. Accordingly, DRB investigators should constantly update their pre-trial investigation skills and gain additional knowledge about the tasks, methods and features of criminal proceedings under investigation by the DBR.
In order to fulfill the outlined tasks, the National University “Odessa Law Academy” has developed a Program for advanced training of DBR investigators (hereinafter - PPK), which defines the content and structure of the training plan, content and scope of training modules of its normative part. course and training materials on investigations for employees of investigative units of the State Bureau of Investigation of Ukraine (hereinafter - Terms of Reference).
The program is designed to train the investigative units of the DBR:
- with a specialty of work in law enforcement agencies from one to three years;
- with a specialty in law enforcement from three to five years;
- with a degree in law enforcement from five years and older.
In accordance with the Terms of Reference, the PPC establishes lectures and practical trainings for DBR investigators on the general component and variable part. The general component includes modules "Problems of qualification of crimes under the jurisdiction of the DBR", "International standards and mechanisms for ensuring generally accepted norms and principles of international law in the context of human rights protection in pre-trial investigation of criminal offenses under the jurisdiction of the DBR, including aspects of the case law of the European Court of Human Rights "," Ensuring the legality of criminal proceedings and the rights and freedoms of individuals in the application of measures to ensure criminal proceedings "," Ensuring the legality of investigative (investigative) and covert investigative (investigative) actions "," Admissibility of evidence in criminal proceedings ”,“ Ensuring the legality of collection and storage of material evidence in criminal proceedings ”,“ Technology of procedural decisions during pre-trial investigation of criminal offenses and features of their substantiation in the context of the case law of the European Court of Human Rights ины ”,“ Specifics of pre-trial investigation in special procedures of criminal proceedings ”,“ Notification of suspicion of a certain category of persons ”,“ Tactics and methods of pre-trial investigation of crimes under the jurisdiction of the DBR ”. The variable part includes trainings "Overview of the scene" and "Search".
Upon completion of the PPK course, DBR investigators will be able to:
- correctly classify criminal offenses that are referred to the DBR;
- effectively apply the case law of the European Court of Human Rights in the investigation of criminal offenses;
- correctly apply the tactics and methods of pre-trial investigation of crimes under the jurisdiction of the DBR;
- formulate substantiated requests for the application of measures to ensure criminal proceedings;
- effectively conduct investigative (investigative) and covert investigative (investigative) actions and record their results;
- have the tactics of conducting individual investigative (investigative) and covert investigative (investigative) actions;
- correctly establish the admissibility of evidence obtained as a result of appropriate procedural actions by DBR investigators;
- guarantee the lawful collection and storage of material evidence in criminal proceedings;
- make lawful, substantiated and motivated procedural decisions;
- timely determine additional procedural actions to be carried out during the pre-trial investigation in special procedures of criminal proceedings;
- correctly draw up a report on suspicion of criminal proceedings under the jurisdiction of the DBR.